This handbook will serve as a guide throughout the year. It contains the basic rules and regulations governing academic programs, discipline, attendance, student services, and extracurricular activities at Haywood Middle School.
You should become familiar with the contents of the handbook, and you should make notes about any announced changes in or additions to this material.
This year will hold many opportunities for you. Determine now what you to achieve this year, and work every day to reach your goal. When you know where you are going, you are halfway there.
The mission of the faculty and staff of Haywood Middle School is to instill in our students a lifelong desire for learning and to equip them with a balanced curriculum which includes reading, language, writing, math, science, social studies, technology, character education, health and physical education, and fine arts which will enable them to become productive, contributing citizens in our society.
- We believe that the school, home, and community share in the responsibility to guide students in the development of their cultural, academic, and social potential, and should work together to assure that decisions made are student-centered.
- We believe that the primary function of Haywood Middle School is to provide an environment conducive to teaching and learning where all children have a fair and equal opportunity to obtain a high quality education that will allow no child to be left behind.
- We believe that the students need a safe and structured environment that encourages the development of integrity, responsibility, self control, respect, and sensitivity to the rights of others.
- We believe that students learn best when actively involved in instructional activities that take into account differences in learning styles and incorporate strategies, which meet the needs of diverse learners.
- We believe in setting high expectations for academic achievement by providing a balanced curriculum and providing opportunities designed to develop skills in current technology, which will result in increased student performance and prepare students for success in high school and the future.