Joey Hassell, Superintendent
Haywood County Schools
As I write this message, a demanding but productive school year has drawn to a close. First, I want to recognize the administration, faculty, and staff of Haywood County Schools for the dedication, talent, energy and care you bring to your work. Together, we are making a visible difference for our students, families and community.
This year we set our sights on some challenging school board goals in the areas of academic achievement and growth, student supports, quality of personnel, family and community engagement, budget and operations, and capital improvement/outlay. We have focused on what matters most – ensuring our students are learning and that we continue to grow as a staff and district.
Over the past year, we worked toward implementing the Tennessee State Standards, enhancing achievement and growth performance on state assessments, increasing postsecondary transition as well as implementing a number of other initiatives to better serve students needing additional support. To better engage our external stakeholders, we worked to build stronger communications with our community by hosting a number of public forums.
This work reflects the dedication, perseverance and collaboration of staff throughout the district. You could add many more achievements worthy of celebration in each of our schools and departments. This year has seen improvements initiated at every school by creative teachers, administrators and staff.
Educating our children for a successful future is important and influential work. I want to recognize your daily contributions in providing the richest experience possible for our students. We continue to focus on improvements and we continue to find ways to leverage our resources – people, time, dollars and relationships – toward boosting success for students and creating the system of strong and excellent schools of which our community is justifiably proud.
In ways large and small, each of you has made a positive difference for kids this year. If I haven’t had an occasion to express this to you in person, please know that I deeply value your efforts and your commitment. I hope you have an opportunity to rest and re-energize over the summer. Take time to travel, pursue a hobby, enjoy the company of friends and family, and savor the experiences that are rewarding and help you bring new insights to your role. For those of you who are retiring after serving the district for so many years, I wish you the best. You have contributed immensely to the success of our district. I hope you have great enjoyment in this next phase of your life.
In conclusion, I know many families feel that summer is a time for children to “take a break from learning,” but I would like to encourage all families to keep their kids learning. Like the person who constantly goes to the gym to get in better shape, the learner must continue reading and learning to keep his or her brain in shape. Families who encourage their children to read by modeling reading and providing books for them will see a tremendous improvement in overall learning. Summer should not be a time to stop learning, but a time to switch gears for a while and continue learning in a different way! Thank you for choosing Haywood County Schools. Have a safe, fun, and awesome summer! Go Tomcats!
Core Values, Mission, and Vision
• an environment of high expectations where all decisions are student-centered.
• passionate, caring, and focused employees who model leadership from where they serve.
• effective partnerships with family and community.
• a respectful, safe, and supportive learning environment.
• an environment where all students, staff, and school board members continuously learn and grow.
• honesty, integrity, and accountability for all.
The mission of Haywood County Schools, in partnership with families and community, is to ensure an engaging, respectful, and safe environment where all students are empowered with the knowledge and skills needed to pursue post-secondary opportunities.
The vision of Haywood County Schools is that all students, under the guidance of a passionate and qualified staff, will be equipped with the academic and social skills needed to be successful and productive citizens.
Strategic Planning Priorities 2017-2021
Academic Achievement and Growth
1. Increase literacy achievement and TVAAS growth across all grades.
2. Increase numeracy achievement and TVAAS growth across all grades.
3. Increase STEAM (Science Technology Engineering Arts and Math) opportunities and outcomes in all grades.
4. Increase post-secondary readiness.
1. Improve leadership and social skills.
2. Provide academic intervention and enrichment opportunities for all.
3. Increase the number of students participating in extra-curricular opportunities.
Quality of Personnel
1. Recruit, hire, and retain passionate and quality employees.
2. Provide quality, professional training to increase employee productivity.
Family and Community Engagement
1. Increase community awareness of educational accomplishments, concerns, and priorities.
2. Increase opportunities for positive family and community engagement at each school.
Budget and Operations
1. Review and refine district policy and procedures.
2. Maximize and align resources in all departments.
1. Complete comprehensive assessments of existing infrastructure.
2. Define capital outlay priorities and develop long and short term plans for addressing those priorities